Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My Turn

It's been a fun couple of days, what with getting attacked on my blog because some bloggers thought I was somebody else, and having David Brock look into my past, what more could an author ask for.

I appeared on The Situation with Tucker Carlson this past Monday night to promote my new upcoming book, Pants on Fire:How Al Franken Lies, Smears, and Deceives (WND Books)

Well Brock being Brock, sprung into action. His opening salvo against me was about how much money I raised in my congressional run back in 2002. Somehow my campaign is a joke but Howard Dean who raised more money than G-d, still managed to lose, is someone to be taken seriously.

Then Brock got to the good stuff.

For example, he criticized me for saying that information about min. wage earners, and how Franken smeared Rush on this subject, was in my book but that I didn't provide any information on the show. What Brock doesn't tell his subscribers is that Carlson gave me one minute to wrap things up, making it impossible to elaborate.

Then I spent the rest of the day arguing with Brockanoids who said that Brock exposed me, and they cited the numbers from The Bureau of Labor Statistics to back up their point. For example, Brock wrote,"Also, the BLS data clearly demonstrate that the vast majority of minimum wage earners are 20 and older -- refuting Skorski's claim that Franken "made up" the data." The problem with that of course, is that there is no age bracket or category for "people over 20." Never mind that Brock is reading from the wrong column on the BLS site. A portion of the narrative from the BLS reads as follows:

2.9 million Americans (out of 72.9 million who are paid by the hour) earn minimum wage or less.
With that being the case, it's very hard to understand where Al Franken came up with 60.1% of minimum wage earners in America are adults (a category which doesn't exist in the BLS study)

On the whole Peabody/Polk award issue, since Brock is not privy to my countless email exchanges with Franken on this matter, it is impossible for him to know what I was basing my accusations against Franken on.
Making the rest of his attack moot, and all of his supporters who emailed me such lovely emails having once again been duped by Brock

8 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Rob Kaufman said...

Rant on, you were caught lying and all your bluster and misdirection does nothing to disprove it.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Dan McKenzie said...

So you really have no way of explaining why you said the articles presented in the Polk/Peabody section of Franken's book are completely unrelated to the subject?

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger ezert said...

I think there is no alternative to "completely dishonest" as a way to describe your claims regarding Franken. You keep contrasting two different statistics to paint Franken a liar. That has been pointed out to you, yet you ignore it.
One more time. If 2 percent of wage-earners make minimum wage, that is in no way contradictory toward 60 percent of minimum wage earners being adults, as opposed to children. Is that really that difficult to understand?
Either you are a liar, or you're just really dumb. One or the other.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger KEvron said...

"....what more could an author ask for."

why, rave reviews, of course!

here's one from amazon:

Well Done Alan!, November 11, 2005
Reviewer: sam kushner (West Hempstead, NY United States) - See all my reviews
"This book is worth it for the eye opening REAL truth about the lying idiot liberal cheerleader Al Franken. Conservatives have another combatant willing to take up the fight with liars like Al Franken. Nice job!"

say? aren't you from west hempstead, too, alan?

too effin' funny!

KEvron

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Alan Sharkey said...

You are quite correct that there is no specific "20 or over" column. Hovever, there are columns for 20 to 24 years, and 25 years and over in Table 7, and thus using a magnificent technique known as "addition", we can find out exactly what percentage of people are on the minimum wage at the age of 20 or over - in this case, 75.1 per cent.

I cannot speak for Franken's exact figures, and of course, it does depend upon your definiton of "adult" (What is yours, exactly?), but it is clear that his general statement, that Rush Limbaugh's claim that three-quarters of minimum-wage jobs are filled by teenagers is fundamentally wrong, is correct. It is clearly not a lie that that is the case.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger infantrie said...

VERY slow day at work today, so I've spent some time reading things written by and about you.

I was quite conservative for most of my life, but now I'm practically a bomb throwing bolshevik. I am embarassed by what I used to believe. I have drunk deeply of the Kool-Aid which you are still apparently hitting pretty hard.

It seems like a lot of posters here and on Amazon go out of their way to attack you personally, which is just stupid. I hate to see that. You are a guy with a family, and I think you honestly believe what you write about, and genuinely want to change things for the better. I think you see yourself as someone doing important work for the good of everyone.

There is however, a problem. While you seem to possess an active intelligent mind, your arguments are at best rough-edged, insufficiently thought out and excessively broad and unsupportable, except with anecdotes. At worst they are borderline childish.

I find Al Franken's Political books hilarious. Beyond that they stand up to deconstruction very well. They are intelligently written and very enjoyable.

Mate you are out of your league.

You are clearly passionate about what you believe, and I hate that anyone would attack you personally.

Good luck to you. Cheers.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger infantrie said...

VERY slow day at work today, so I've spent some time reading things written by and about you.

I was quite conservative for most of my life, but now I'm practically a bomb throwing bolshevik. I am embarassed by what I used to believe. I have drunk deeply of the Kool-Aid which you are still apparently hitting pretty hard.

It seems like a lot of posters here and on Amazon go out of their way to attack you personally, which is just stupid. I hate to see that. You are a guy with a family, and I think you honestly believe what you write about, and genuinely want to change things for the better. I think you see yourself as someone doing important work for the good of everyone.

There is however, a problem. While you seem to possess an active intelligent mind, your arguments are at best rough-edged, insufficiently thought out and excessively broad and unsupportable, except with anecdotes. At worst they are borderline childish.

I find Al Franken's Political books hilarious. Beyond that they stand up to deconstruction very well. They are intelligently written and very enjoyable.

Mate you are out of your league.

You are clearly passionate about what you believe, and I hate that anyone would attack you personally.

Good luck to you. Cheers.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Pat Boyd said...

I saw you on C-SPAN today and thought I should comment on your blog.

First, I am really glad someone is trying to moderate commercial politicalization. It's frustrating that in the information age, factual accuracy comes second to sensationalizing. I guess that's where the money is at though.

Second, if I understood you correctly(?), you actually do have enough information to determine the percentage of adult minimum wage workers. According to the "Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2004", there are a total of 2 million people at min. wage(or below). Of these, 1 million are 16 to 25 years old. Of those, 500 thousand are 16-19. That means 1 million - 500 thousand = 500 thousand are 20-25. Added to the 1 million over 25 years old, a total of 1.5 million people age 20+ are on min. wage. That means 75% of the 2 million people on min. wage are "adults." The exact opposite of Rush's claim. Interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home