Friday, October 21, 2005

A Ringing Endorsement of Al Franken

A few weeks ago, Al Franken appeared in Maine for some political fundraising and rabble rousing with the party faithful. One of the attendees who actually appeared on stage was Maine Governor, John Baldacci. According to new reports, Michael Leavitt, the executive director of the Maine Republican Party slammed the governor for standing side-by-side with such a divisive figure as Franken.

In a recent interview with the Bowdoin Orient, the governor had a chance to fire back and defend the integrity of such a fine outstanding man like Franken. Here is an exchange between the interviewer Evan Kohn and the governor.



EK: Bowdoin students saw you a few weeks ago introducing Al Franken at Bowdoin. How would you respond to criticism regarding your appearance with an arguably controversial figure like Al Franken.

GJB: (Laughter) Well, you know...look, I don't defend Al Franken and Al Franken doesn't defend me. You know, I represent myself, and I just thought it was a great turnout there and I thought there was a lot of enthusiasm there. I think if there are those attempts to undercut that kind of support and say that people were being divisive...I don't think so. I think people appreciate free speech and recognize that people have fought and sacrificed their lives so we can say and do what we want to do. Those are our freedoms and liberties, so he has a right to his opinion and I have a right to mine.

It's got to feel great to have a governor stand up for you like that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home